Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Batgirl: Year One DTV Cancelled?!

It's good to know that, despite all the crap I've had to deal with these past few weeks, life does not really care about your little hard drive problems and can get worse.

From Bruce Timm:

"'Wonder Woman’s' sales started out extremely slow and then over time were eventually able to catch up to probably 'Justice League: New Frontier.'" said Timm. "The Exec’s decided because it wasn’t able to sell quickly right away, whereas 'Justice League' was, that there wouldn’t be any more female super hero films right now. We were developing and hoping to get started on a 'Batgirl' film based on 'Year One,' but because of 'Wonder Woman’s' slow sales start, that won’t be happening now."

Are you being serious, right now?! Not only is a Wonder Woman sequel canceled because of "slow sales" but any chance of a Batgirl: Year One movie (and there WAS a chance) is out the window. Correct me if I'm wrong but, aren't slow sales better than NO sales?!

I've never been proactive on letter writing campaigns, but, since summer is coming up, I'll be making one heck of an exception! Who's with me! If I can get everyone who listens to Batgirl to Oracle to sign a petition that I will personally write, then maybe we can get Batgirl: Year One back on the list! Let's be honest, folks, if Batgirl: Year One doesn't come out, there is NO chance for Cass or Steph fans! We need to do something!

I will keep you posted!

Fly on, Babs lovers!
Stella

4 comments:

  1. I also love how all female superheroes are lumped into one group. Like Batgirl wouldn't have her own selling merits because she's Batgirl, but oh no, her breasts are gonna keep the product from moving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I have to admit that at first whilst I was reading this I thought that if the outlook for the sales is predicted to be bad then it's quite understandable that DC and WB would put a hold on producing the Batgirl: Year One film primarily because the company wants to have all production costs (as well as other misc. overhead costs) paid for ASAP.

    BUT that last sentence Stella...that last sentence: "...if Batgirl: Year One doesn't come out, there is NO chance for Cass or Steph fans!" No change for Cassandra Cain?! F*#% THAT! I LITERALLY chocked on and nasally sprayed out hot coffee on myself, my desk, and my keyboard.

    So yeah, whatever help you need to get your "Pro-Batgirl: Year One film" moment, I got your back! This atrocity must be addressed!!! Now if you'd excuse me, I'll go clean this mess up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I'm glad that got a reaction! I hope you don't disagree or think it too strong a statement. I thoroughly believe that the "lesser knowns" have less of a chance if the ground isn't broken before them! You yourself know how many people know who has been or is Batgirl after you did your random survey! If we can get Babs out there to people, we can pave the way for other female superheroes! I really think that Cass could support her own movie, given the intense background that she has!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fact that I even heard that this was in production to begin with shocks me. Ever since I finished reading it and saw Under the Red Hood, I wondered "Hell, Batgirl Year One might make an excellent film."

    Looks like I'm not the only one..

    ReplyDelete