Saturday, August 7, 2010

October Solicits

Yikes! October may be the time to break the piggy bank, friends! I'm sure you've already seen the DC solicitations for October but here is where I break down what I think is necessary for a Batgirl/Barbara Gordon fan!



BRUCE WAYNE -- THE ROAD HOME: BATGIRL #1

Written by Bryan Q. Miller, art by Pere Perez, cover by Shane Davis.

Batgirl no more? Is Stephanie Brown's brief tenure as Batgirl in jeopardy now that Bruce Wayne has returned? Or will Bruce's homecoming mean bigger and better things for Gotham City's premier heroine?

32 pages, $2.99, in stores on Oct. 13.

Will this be the end of Steph? I doubt it, but it will be interesting to see what the return of Bruce means for our new Batgirl.

BRUCE WAYNE -- THE ROAD HOME: COMMISSIONER GORDON #1

Written by Adam Beechen, art by SzymonK Kudranski, cover by Shane Davis.

For several months now, Commissioner Jim Gordon has known he's been working alongside a "different" Batman. But with Bruce Wayne now returned, what will that mean for the future of Gotham City and their own crime fighting chemistry?

32 pages, $2.99, in stores on Oct. 20.

I'm not too sure I will get this but it does seem like the Commish/Bruce relationship is one of the most important in the comics world so I should think it may be a good issue...if done correctly.

BRUCE WAYNE -- THE ROAD HOME: ORACLE #1

Written by Marc Andreyko, art by Agustin Padilla, cover by Shane Davis.

Barbara Gordon and Bruce Wayne have long been allies and friends, acting as Gotham City's primary defenders. Their reunion is sure to have lasting effects on Barbara's role as Oracle and the other Birds of Prey.

32 pages, $2.99, in stores on Oct. 27.

Yikes! Well, we know that Babs had a very close relationship with Bruce so that will be interesting to tell. Why his return should have an effect on her role as Oracle or the Birds of Prey, I can not imagine. Why isn't this written by Gail Simone?

I would like to know if these are mini-series or just one-shots. Hmm, any ideas? I almost think that they will be minis as long as Batman: The Return mini goes on. Plus, these issues are only $2.99 rather than a standard one-shot price of $3.99.

Haha, as a little segue, how dumb does that new "Knight and Squire" series sound? I doubt that will last long. People want Batman and Robin, not a knock-off!



DCU HALLOWEEN SPECIAL 2010 #1

Written by Joe Harris, Bryan Q. Miller and others, art by TBA, cover by Gene Ha.

The DCU Halloween Special returns with a bang, featuring all-star talent and all of your favorite characters! What happens when the DC Universe's premier heroes are thrown together with some of the spookiest heroes and villains? Scares are sure to ensue!

56 pages, $4.99, in stores on Oct. 20.

I'm actually a big fan of the DC holiday specials because they are able to tell stories that would never get a chance otherwise. And let's not forget that our friend Bryan Q. Miller is writing a story in here!

Some of you may be asking, "Stella, you're picking up some of those minis, why not get Batman: The Return?" Well, to be honest, I don't much care. I was only picking up Batman while Dick was under the cowl and I said that I would drop it once Bruce returned. I'll certainly keep up with what is going on, though.

Fly on, Babs lovers!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for highlighting the DCU Halloween Special Stella, I hadn't spotted this and as you say the holiday 'Specials' tend to be a little different from the norm and certainly usually a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do very much enjoy the holiday specials because I think creators get to "think outside the box" in a way. I'm especially excited to see what our friend Bryan Q. Miller does!

    ReplyDelete